Monday, September 1, 2008

Incident No. 1 in which I Hit a Deer on the way to the Airport

So yesterday I awoke at 5:30 am for my trip to D.C. My parents were both up to accompany me to the airport. As we were about to leave, loading luggage in the car, my dad suggested that I drive as I won't be driving for the next two years (Peace Corps doesn't allow driving). And I thought, okay, why not? We also decided to take my car (that I am/was trying to sell) instead of their car because mine is bigger. Around 6:15 am we headed out.

Driving across the valley things were going fine until I saw a deer run in front of a car that was headed toward me. As I saw it move in front of their headlights I was able to slow down enough to know that I wasn't going to hit it. Unfortunately it was then followed by a second deer, a buck, that I couldn't avoid hitting. I saw it smash into the front of the car and then disappear off the side of the road. We slowed down to a stop and got out to look at the damage. The hood of the car was smashed in, but there was no damage to the lights and the car still ran fine. So we decided to continue on our way with me shedding a few tears for the poor deer that I hoped was dead and not suffering and out of shock. (I've never hit a deer before.)

So all in all, not exactly how I wanted to start out my new adventure (and hopefully not a bad omen or foreshadowing of my time in Nicaragua). We did make it to the airport on time and things went smoothly the rest of the trip to D.C. other than my traumatic flashbacks of hitting the deer all throughout the day.

Now I am just waiting to meet my fellow PC volunteers later today and get this PC thing started. Thanks to all those from whom I received kind words/emails/messages/phone calls. I hope you are all well and please stay in touch!


4 comments:

Bonnie said...

So the adventure begins...and it certainly did. It's like that saying "life comes at your fast". But you're prepared and a trooper so just keep on keeping on. The drive to the airport was just part of life's ups and downs and certainly not any kind of omen. You got the down out of the way so the rest of the adventure will be full of ups.

Love you,

Mom

Unknown said...

Hey Lar!

Sounds like a crazy start, but I'm sure if it's any kind of omen it can only be good :) I wish you all the best on you amazing trip and even though we're still gonna be far away on opposite continents I hope we can have lots more Skype calls :) Miss u lots and hope you have a fantastic time!

Smooches from Sweden

Unknown said...

good work, there are too many deer in the world anyways...glad you're ok

Unknown said...

Hi Seester,

Glad you all are ok after the deer incident. I used google earth to check out Managua. Can't wait to come visit you! Hope all is well,

Kappa