Friday, September 5, 2008

Day Three in Nicaragua

So I am on my third day here in Nicaragua. It is hot, humid, and rainy. They have kept us locked away in a hotel (although a nice one) since we've been here because apparently Managua is not really a site-seeing city. Tomorrow we head out to other areas to meet our host families.

There are 41 other aspirantes or Peace Corps trainees (we are not volunteers yet). 22 are in agriculture and 19 are in environmental education (my group). Tomorrow we get split up into our separate groups and won't see each other until we swear in sometime in November. I'll be in a small town near Masaya with three other trainees for the next 11 weeks. I'll be staying with a small family of four (husband, wife, and two younger daughters). I'm excited to meet them and learn from them and laugh with them about all the mistakes I am going to make.

Training will start on Monday and I believe it might end up being the most intense training/lessons I've ever had. Today we had only three hours of language training and my brain hurt and I was exhausted. Once we start on Monday, many days we will have 6 hours of language training and homework. (!) Other days we will be doing technical training.

We've had some current volunteers here with us at the hotel to give us advice and tell us about Nicaragua. They have been an unbelievable help and I can't wait until I've been here a year and know everything they know. They have some fantastic stories.

Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures yet from the hotel, but I'm sure I'll be taking lots as soon as I get out of these walls and I'll post some soon.

2 comments:

Shawna said...

Sounds like it is quite an experience! I'm sure you'll get really good at being in intensive training. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Near Masaya? Cool - what town? Have you been able to go to the National Park to see the volcano yet? Hope all is well and that you're not sick of gallo pinto yet :)